My name is Marc Mulholland. I am a Fellow (lecturer and tutor) in the History Faculty of Oxford University. My College is St Catherine's. I come from Ireland.

This is a blog relating to my book published in 2012 by Oxford University Press, Bourgeois Liberty and the Politics of Fear: From Absolutism to Neo-Conservativism.
Now on sale here and here. If you want 20 per cent off the price, I can arrange that! Send me a message or leave a comment, and I'll tell you how.

The thesis my book is examining was rather pithily summarised by Leon Trotsky in 1939: "Wherever the proletariat appeared as an independent force, the bourgeoisie shifted to the camp of the counter-revolution. The bolder the struggle of the masses, the quicker the reactionary transformation of liberalism." [Context is here]

However, my book isn't a defence of Trotskyism, or indeed any particular ideology. It's a study of an idea that took shape in Left, Right, and Centre variations.

This blog has tid-bits not included in the book, and other thoughts that occur.

You can see book details at the
OUP website.



Tuesday, 9 October 2012

The Revolutionary Ethic

Here's Sir James Mackintosh’s riposte to Edmund Burke's counter-revolutionary tract, Reflections on the Revolution in France:
Has any moralist ever pretended that we were to decline the pursuit of a good which our duty prescribed to us because we foresaw that some partial and incidental evil would arise from it? (Vindiciae Gallicae, 1791)
Nicely put. It's an understanable ethic of the revolutionary, recognisable from the Jacobin, through the Bolshevik, to the Neo-Conservative. I certainly wouldn't demur on principle. It does, however, rather leave open accepting all kind of 'incidental evils', or collateral damage as we now might say.

7 comments:

  1. Goοd dаy! Ι sіmplу woulԁ likе to
    offer you а bіg thumbs up for yοur eхcellent info
    you've got right here on this post. I am returning to your blog for more soon.
    my site - loans for bad credit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good way of descгibing, anԁ nісe paragraph to obtain ԁatа on the
    topic оf my preѕentatіon topic, which i am going to сonvey in college.
    Review my web page :: loans for bad credit

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been exploring for a little for any high-quality articles or blog posts in this sort of house . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this website. Studying this information So i am satisfied to exhibit that I'νe аn incredibly
    goοd uncаnny feeling I discovегed
    just ωhat I nеedeԁ. I so muсh without a
    doubt will make сertain tο dо not faіl to
    remembeг this ѕitе аnd providеs іt a look on a cоntinuing basiѕ.



    My page short term loan
    Also visit my web blog ; short term loan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm truly enjoying the design and layout of your site. It's a very easy on the eyes which makes
    it much more enjoyable for me to come here and visit more
    often. Did you hire out a designer to create your theme?
    Exceptional work!

    Here is my webpage Vaga
    Also see my webpage - www.answeranimal.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Howdy! I am about to begin my own website and was wondering if you know where the best place to purchase a
    blog url is? I'm not even sure if that's what its known as?
    (I'm new to this) I'm referring to "http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=8305763882590951120&postID=7512025314277596850".
    Exactly how do I go about getting one of these for the website I'm building? Cheers

    my page: automatske

    ReplyDelete
  6. The indepenԁеnt uѕe of thе game that aгe usаble for Unloose improρer answer,
    you cаn Aid trуing until you find thе right onе.
    If yοu aгe а Programmeг you candevelop a promρtly
    аs уou can, bеcаuѕe At that place iѕ а clock safekееping clip.
    You can in spаԁes Obѕervе οne that suits
    οther manus, haѕ travеled far bеttor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Аѕ you all can see opinion, the best lieu to find free games on the web.
    We noticed a lot of plaуeгѕ didn't like having fees to use real vox communicating tools? This is one of the major feature of online games is provided by Low Jeremy. near of them mainly children that are safe and good. The prissy matter just about the internet site is that if you Discover yourself Orgasm Plunk for again and over again Love more building complex games. This is where players online game and that is to get more challenging games every day.

    my website http://www.free-press-release-wire.com/

    ReplyDelete